Sunday, January 27, 2013

January 27, 2013

Over the last 30 days I've run 88 miles with 21,000ft of elevation gain. I've been much more focused on training smarter, and I've been taking the runs pretty easy. Lot's of stopping to take pictures, and just having fun. This week was a back off in preparation for an increase in weekly mileage. The weather didn't allow less mileage to mean less difficulty, though. I headed up Mt Wire on Friday, and the warmer temps made for one of the most torturous days on the trail that I can remember. 2000ft of elevation gain in about 1.5 miles with shin/knee deep slush that hardened to concrete with every post hole. It was nice to get above the inversion though. Today I did a 10 mile loop starting and ending at my driveway. More slush, but not as bad. I still can't believe how lucky we are to live in such a wonderful place. To run from my house, in a loop, for 10 miles, climbing almost 3000ft without seeing a single other person is as good as it gets.


Climbing out of the inversion. Mt Wire, 7200ft.

A stark reminder that there's still plenty of wildness just above the city.

Clouds and snow closing in on downtown Salt Lake City.

About 1.5 miles from home. Dropping down to Ensign Peak as the snow starts blowing sideways.


1 comment:

  1. I have come around a corner and run straight into a fresh deer-kill like that before. I screamed like a little girl! It can be wild out there. But peaceful too. We truly do live in a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete