Monday, January 21, 2013

January 21, 2013





I've lived in Salt Lake City for well over 10 years, and despite my love of the mountains, I haven't ventured out much in the winter. Everything is harder in the winter, but to connect with and understand the landscape, it must be experienced in every season. I am committed to getting up to the high(er) country through the rest of this winter, and to hopefully gain a new understanding and comfort with the snow and cold. I don't have hundreds of dollars to buy ski gear, but I will get out as far and as high as I can with what I have. I have spikes, crampons and an ice axe. It'll have to do.
My first winter trip up 9000ft Mt Olympus was a humble start. The ice axe made me feel pretty bad ass, even if I only used it for balance on the scramble once or twice. Really, I'm probably a danger to myself and others with that thing.
My training is moving along smoothly, and after two months of lower mileage and an overall reduced training volume, I'm feeling healthy again. The knee feels good, and my energy has returned. I hadn't taken any significant rest since early 2011 when I started training for Leadville, and last summer (precisely when my knee gave up) I jumped to almost 60 hours a month of total training. New year, new smarts. Two days a week of lifting a la Wendler. Three days a week of running (for now). Two days a week of non running endurance and conditioning. Seven days a week of mobility, recovery, and self care. Pressure and time.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great plan. I'm so glad you knee is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete