Wednesday, April 24, 2013

April 24, 2013

The year is unfolding nicely, with only a couple kneecap shaped speed bumps. I'm working on it. I've stuck to my plan of focusing on adventure and fun. Having a group of friends who are all faster and sometimes more ambitious than me, is really motivating. Motivating and humbling.
Focusing on regaining a sense of adventure has given me a new outlook on space and how much room we have to roam. Trail running gave me new perspective on distance and even time to some extent, but recently I've realized how much we define and perceive our surroundings by and through the paths we routinely take. With running specifically, getting off the trails and exploring has opened my eyes to how big our world is. A hillside I see everyday on regular runs takes on a whole new and wild feel just by venturing off trail and finding my own way. There's a lot more space out there than we take advantage of.
On April 14, I headed out with a great group to traverse the ridge on Stansbury Island. Stansbury Island is a hugely under appreciated island in the Great Salt Lake, about 45 minutes drive time from downtown. Upon first approach you might not be too excited. The locals have treated the lower areas and roadsides poorly. There are probably more spent shotgun shells than rocks. But like any wild area, it only takes a couple miles of effort to lose most traces of human activity. After dropping a car at the north end of the island, we returned to the south end and began our climb up to the ridge through a steep canyon. The ridge itself is mostly bare of trees and any significant bushwhacking. From the south to the north the ridge extends about 12 miles with tons of variation in rock and terrain, with plenty of class 3-4 scrambling. This is by far one my new favorite routes. A beautiful route with a great group. I also learned a lesson on coordinating groups for this sort of thing. Go over every detail with the group. Leave nothing to chance.
On April 20 I got to spend some time with my wife in the Grand Canyon. We dropped down into the canyon on the South Kaibab Trail, accessed the Tonto Trail, and climbed out on the Bright Angel Trail. Words cannot convey how big this place is. You have to get down there. If I could spend every day for the rest of my life meandering along Grand Canyon trails with the love of my life, I would be more than content.



















No comments:

Post a Comment