Thursday, September 15, 2011

September 15, 2011

And we're back!
I had a great time this past weekend pacing Geoff Crockett at the Wasatch 100, and although he had to drop at mile 93, I think he should be proud of himself. I started running with Geoff at Lambs Canyon at mile 53 and ran with him through the night to Brighton at mile 75. He pushed through some bad times up there, and by the time we got to the Guardsmen Pass road he was totally delirious. I caught him running with his eyes closed a couple times and at one point he started mumbling incoherently. The only thing I could make out of this mumbling was the phrase, "you're doing that farmer shit aren't you?" I asked him to repeat himself, but he just laughed and said, "I don't know." I think the altitude was screwing with him in combination with his inability to stomach anything sweet. We made it to Brighton and with a lot of prodding and threatening, pushed him out the door almost an hour later. He soon developed some pretty disgusting blisters under the nails of his big toes, which slowed him down to a crawl. Knowing he would not make the 36 hour cutoff at the finish he made the tough decision to drop at mile 93. You're a badass, Mr. Crockett.
So I ran 22 miles on Friday night, and soon realized that my feet are still hurting from Leadville. They hurt deep in the bones and joints. I'm going to take a break from running hard and jumping for a few weeks to let things heal a bit more. This postpones my plans to begin regular speed sessions, but there's always the gym and the bike. The gym work is going well and my strength is coming back slowly. Yesterday I back squatted a 3 rep max of 235, which should put my 1 rep max at about 250. That's 50 pounds lighter than last winter, but no big deal.
Yes, it's time to lift HEAVY.

Here's a shot from the mile 75 aid station at Brighton. Geoff is feeling the effect.

4 comments:

  1. Next time burn holes into his toenails with a hot paperclip. It will release the pressure and make you feel like new. It's called trepanation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily, he's a doctor and did this when he got home. I've heard of trepanation, but like this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trepanning

    Looks like a niche you could take advantage of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After 75 miles I am pretty sure I'd need a hot paperclip in my skull to feel like new ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kudos, Jason. It got pretty ugly on our segment out there. Happy to report the feets are much better now.....put down 9 on Monday.

    By the way, the trephination part took a whole new twist last week. The small holes made with an 18 gauge needle were clogging up quickly after I would reopen them so I finally got out the Dremel and used a small diamond burr to make a slightly larger hole. Like magic the toes recovered quite quickly after this.

    ReplyDelete