Sunday, March 28, 2010

ANTELOPE ISLAND BUFFALO RUN

The race went well but not as expected. I intended to run the 50K, and the course is a 25k loop run twice. I was running well and on pace for a PR, but as I approached the end of the first loop, the tightness in my right knee got tight enough to prevent flexion and to some extent, extension. It wasn't enough alone to make me stop, but that coupled with the fact that I just wasn't feeling the mojo helped me make my decision. I'm pleased with the 25K experience and I live to run another day. No excuses, just results.

Tara had a strange but good day. Her 50 miler starts an hour and a half before the sun comes up. This is not good for a girl who can barely see with glasses on. She got off course early on and lost a ton of time. After losing more time to a big detour around some aggressive buffalo, she decided to drop around the 50 K mark. A 50K PR for her. I'm proud. She's tougher than me.

This is now one of my favorite races. It was put together flawlessly, and the race director and volunteers were really awesome. I highly recommend it to everyone.

2 comments: