Monday, November 2, 2009

It's time to dial in the training. Today is day one of a 6 week cycle of strength and olympic lifting from Catalyst Athletics, and today is also is the first day of a healthy diet for me and Tara.
Nutrition is my weakest link, and it's about to get stronger. Tara and I will be doing a primarily Paleo diet with more of a focus on performance. We will strive for a high (90% or above) compliance rate, but will include dairy and root veggies (sweet potatoes). We're including dairy so we don't burn out and feel deprived (dairy is already not a huge part of our diet), and sweet potatoes for post workout glycogen replenishment. I think the addition of root veggies in the post workout meal will be crucial given our endurance bias. We will also be taking 10 grams of fish oil a day.
I will also be implementing some intermittent fasting after a couple of weeks of adaptation to the new diet. I have more research to do on this, but I have always been fascinated by the evidence that intermittent fasting could extend life span. It just makes sense to me that your body could use an occasional break from food.
I strained my Achilles tendon on the 800 meter sprints, but after a few days of rest from running, I'll be adding 3 days a week of running to the mix. Mostly longer intervals (800 meters and above) with some body weight exercises thrown in.

Monday
Warm-up
500 meter row
Joint mobility drills

Workout
Back squat @75% 5 sets of 4 (205#)
Push press @70% 5 sets of 5 (140#)
Snatch pull @90% 5 sets of 5 (120#)
Weighted sit-ups 3 sets of 10 (45#)

No comments:

Post a Comment