Sunday, August 2, 2009

The past few days

A little catch up.

Thursday
Rest. I needed it.

Friday
Front squat
3 sets of 5
135#/ 155#/175# still tired
Back squat
1 set of 20 @135#
Shoulder press
3 sets of 5
95#/ 115#/120#
1 set of 15 @75#
I had to pack two days of the strength bias program into one day, because I would not be able to make it to the gym on Saturday.

Saturday
Volunteering at the Katcina Mosa 100k mountain run. Tara and I got to run an aid station (at mile 23) for this race and it was a blast. It really gets me fired up to be there to help the runners along in their journey. I like watching the veterans come through, and I like to try and pick up tips from the way they operate. I had intended on resting this day and just enjoying helping out in the mountain air, but I got in some surprise training.
There were families at the aid station waiting for loved ones and just hanging out. Most of the runners had come through. The wife of one of the runners who had not come through, hiked up the trail a bit only to find her husband unconscious beside a stream. She was able to wake him up and get him down to the aid station. He said he had been throwing up everything he ate or drank for most of the race. This race is hard. It starts at 3 in the morning. We were at mile 23 when this guy was brought in, and it was 10:30a.m. Seven and a half hours on the trail, pushing hard and puking the whole way. He still wanted to continue and the race director told him only if someone went with him. I offered to go and he accepted. We pushed on for about 45 minutes. I had to convince him to turn back and call it off. I have never seen someone vomit so hard. He would drink 5 ounces and vomit what looked like 20 ounces. He was retching so hard that he was shaking. It occurred to me then that I have never really suffered during a race. This guy was obviously in dire need of medical attention, and all he wanted to do was run 40 more miles uphill in the heat. That's one tough S.O.B. I had to tell him he had no choice but to turn back. He was pretty crushed, and as he got weaker he realized it was the right choice. Getting him to safety, however, was another adventure. By the time we made it back to the aid station, everyone was packed up and gone. This area is 3.3 miles up a dirt road that is gated and locked at the bottom. No one on the road to help and no cell phone service. I set him up in the shade, got him a little hydrated and ran to the bottom of the road. At the end of this dirt road you turn left, and it's still 5 miles to cell phone service. I kept on running, finally hitched a ride, got in touch with Tara and she drove us to safety. The locals were a sinister bunch of savages and (other than the outdoorsy couple that gave me a ride) were totally unconcerned. I'm fairly certain they wanted to make me into chili. After this adventure we got to catch the finish of the race listen to the runner's stories. All in all I got in about 10 miles.

Sunday
Salt Lake City Crossfit Running
A group of us went up to the top of Red Butte. Nice and easy. Good people and nice scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment