Sunday, June 7, 2009

Studying the Wahsatch Steeplechase

Friday
I headed out with Rich to run the Steeplechase course. We skipped the Memory Grove portion and got down to business with the climb leading up the right side of City Creek Canyon. I felt the effects of a hard week of training, and pretty soon Rich was leading the hills with me scrambling to catch up on the downhills. We made the false summit of Little Black quickly, and began picking our way over the crags. At the top we got to see a rattlesnake coiled under a rock, but whether or not it was the fabled beast of Little Black I do not know. We got to Smuggler's Gap and it was on. This section of the course is a blast, and the surface was soft and forgiving. I've only done this race once before and it seems like the vegetation has taken over the trails here more than last year. After bombing the trail down to City Creek we settled into a more relaxed conversational pace, and brought it home. We returned to the truck in 3 hours 50 minutes. 12 to 14 miles.

Saturday
I couldn't muster up another trail adventure after five days in a row of training, so I drove out to Stansbury Island for some peace and quiet. I took my dog, Roodi, as a way to prevent any running that would ruin my recovery. She's getting up there in age, and running would just be cruel. I just wandered around like a child and checked out the rocks, watched the birds and relaxed in the sun. It's a beautiful area, but I was disappointed at all of the Private Property, Do Not Enter signs. I don't, for the most part, have a problem with private property, but this was just a bit much. All that beautiful open space, and the only thing I saw happening was the rusting of trucks, tractors and other machinery. Of course I didn't let the signs deter me, and meandered where I pleased. I don't have any respect for this type of hoarding.

1 comment:

  1. Was looking forward to Crossfit today until I saw the 5k! haha... I actually want to do it but I am still kinda wrecked from climbing Mt Olympus on Sat. Quite a story, but suffice to say we started up at 8:30am and got down at 1:30am.

    So, for today I'll settle for a shorter run with my dog. Be in tomorrow, good luck with the Steeplechase training. -- Matt B.

    ReplyDelete